What is a doula? Being a doula includes assisting women as a birth companion, birth coach or post-birth supporter. It is a non-medical person who stays with and assists a woman before, during, or after childbirth to provide emotional and physical help.
A doula guides and supports the birthing mothers partner in various ways:
- Helping the partner fully participate in the birthing process.
- Filling in for the partner when they need a break.
- Empowering them to feel confident and connected throughout the birthing experience.
- Decreasing anxiety by being available to answer questions, offering suggestions and giving support.
- Allowing the partner to accompany baby during first assessments while feeling safe that the mother has support.